Skip to main content

Whittier High School

Career Center » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a work permit before I to get a job?

Yes and No! Yes, you need a work permit to start a job, but No you do not need one to apply for a job. Once you have been hired then the "Request for a Work Permit" application must be filled out by you, your employer, your parents, and lastly the work experience teacher. When everything is completed at the district office, the work permit is sent to your place of employment

If I'm 18, do I still need a work permit?

YES! If you are under 18 and plan to work, you must get a work permit from your school or school district office (unless you have graduated).

How long does it take to receive my work permit?

Once a request for a work permit is submitted, it takes 24 hours to process, then it is mailed to your place of employment. A work permit submitted before 7:30 am will be available for pick up the next day after 2 pm. You must inform the work experience teacher about your preference.

How many hours can I work per day? per week?

Refer to the chart below to see how many hours you may work:


Non-School Days

School Days


8 per day/40 per week

3 per day/18 per week* FLSA


8 per day/40 per week

3 per day/28 per week* IWC


8 per day/48 per week

4 per day/20 per week -- Whittier Union HS District standard

*When regulations of two enforcement agencies differ, the more restrictive regulation applies. Either the Industrial Relations Division or the Industrial Welfare Commission (IWC) or the US Department of Labor-Fair Standards Act (FLSA) can assist you in determining when a regulation applies to your industry.
Which hours of the day can I work as a minor?

Refer to the following chart
14-15 years old
7 am to 7 pm (5 am - 10 pm - IWC jobs)
Summer 6/1 to Labor Day 7 am to 9 pm - FLSA
16-17 years old 5 am to 10 pm (12:30 am when no school the next day - IWC)
What if I want to work more than the standard hours for a minor (person under 18)?

Your work permit must be a work experience work permit in order to work more than the 20 hours per week a 16-17 year old is allowed to work. You must enroll in the work experience class to be eligible for this type of a work permit. See the Work Experience page on this website.

What is General Work Experience?

General Work Experience is a class that will help you learn about work while you earn. You can earn elective credits for this once a week class. To find out more information see the Work Experience page.