Whittier High School
Attendance Office: 562 698-8121 ext 2040 & 2041
ATTENDANCE OFFICE PROCEDURES
California laws require EVERYONE between the ages of 6 and 18 years old to attend school unless they have graduated from high school or passed the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) – Education Code 48200. It is imperative that your child attends school every day. Absences for medical reasons and certain non-medical reasons are excused. Parents should notify the Attendance Office immediately of all absences. Please call the Attendance Office on the day of your student’s absence before 9:00 a.m.
ABSENCES: STUDENTS MUST MAINTAIN 95% OF ATTENDANCE
- When returning from an absence, a student either brings a note signed by a parent/guardian or parent phone call. Parents are encouraged to call the school by 9:00 a.m. to clear an absence. If an absence is not cleared within three (3) days a truancy will be issued and Saturday school will be required.
- More than five (5) days or seven (7) tardies in a school semester is considered excessive.
- Students are allowed 10 absences per year, a doctor’s note will be required for every absence proceeding the 10th absence.
- The school will not accept more than three (3) parental or guardian notes per semester excusing a student from being late to his or her first class of the day (i.e. car trouble, woke up late, traffic etc.)
- Any student absent more than three consecutive days because of an illness must report to the Attendance Office before returning to class. A note from the doctor will be required upon return.
- Extended non-medical absences (family emergency, vacations, or any other personal reason) WILL NOT be excused. Special circumstances need to be reported to the Attendance Coordinator for review and a decision will be made on an individual basis. Student will be assigned Saturday School to make up all unexcused absence.
- Students who have perfect attendance will be eligible for attendance awards.
- SENIORS MUST CLEAR ALL TRUANCIES BY THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR. ALL SENIOR ACTIVITIES INCLUDING GRADUATION CEREMONY AND DANCES ARE A PRIVILEGE AND WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DENY PARTICIPATION TO ANY STUDENT.
a) Students who have four years of perfect attendance will be rewarded with a senior yearbook (no full day absences and less than 5 period abs/tardies combined).
Please be aware that we DO NOT release any student by phone. Parent MUST come into the Attendance Office with identification. Due to the safety of all our students we do not call students up prior to parent coming into the Attendance Office/ front security desk and show proper identification.
- Student must present signed note from parent/guardian to the Attendance Office before school, at nutrition, or at lunch. At that time an off-campus permit will be issued. PLEASE ALLOW 15-20 MINUTES FOR YOUR STUDENT(S) TO ARRIVE OUTSIDE OR TO THE ENTRANCE OF THE SCHOOL
- If a parent/guardian is arriving to pick up a student that has not given a note to the Attendance office, parent needs to arrive 45 minutes to 1 hour prior to the appointment time. Please keep in mind if student has Physical Education at that time it may take up to 30 minutes for student to arrive to the Attendance Office.
- Students then show their off-campus permit to teacher and leaves at specified time.
- Truancies are assigned when a student is absent from school/class without a valid excuse.
- A student may lose (at teacher’s discretion) the privilege of making up missed work because of a truancy
- If a student is truant for any part of the school day a truancy citation under the Whittier Municipal Code 9.42.030 may be given by our School Resource Officer (Truancy fines range from $167.00 to $350.00).
- Truancies will affect citizenship and can affect academic grades due to missed work.
- All full day truancies are assigned Saturday School.
Student visitors are NOT permitted, at any time, on campus. All other visitors need to check-in at the front desk with security before entering campus.
UNASSIGNED PERIOD(S) DURING SCHOOL DAY:
Student who have unassigned periods during the school day are expected to leave school campus. NO LOITERING IS PERMITTED IN FRONT OF THE SCHOOL!
PARENT PHONE CALLS:
We do not allow parents to call to speak with their student(s) nor leave messages. Transportation arrangements MUST be discussed and handled before school.
DELIVERING ITEMS TO STUDENTS DURING SCHOOL HOURS:
- Parent/guardian, or any other family member or family friend that is on the emergency card can come to the front entrance with a valid ID (student will not be called out if person in not on the emergency card)
- Person must wait while student is sent up; items will not be held or delivered by security or staff member. BALLOONS, CAKES, FLOWERS OR ANY OTHER GIFTS WILL NOT BE DELIVERED. Please do not bring these items to be delivered.
- Students requesting to participate in a school activity must obtain a dance clearance and get appropriate signatures. Student must maintain 95% of attendance and should not have more than a total of four (4) period cuts (combined in all classes) and no unverified/unexcused absences and have no outstanding fees. Anything over attendance criteria the student must attend a Saturday School for each additional full day absence or four (4) period cut combination.
- All-day truancies, unexcused absences and period cuts must be cleared by attending Saturday School (or scheduled Sunday make-up class)
- All assigned Saturdays Schools must be served before the student can purchase a dance ticket.
**ACTIVITIES ARE SCHOOL SPONSORED AND WHS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DENY PARTICIPATION TO ANY STUDENT.