The Application Process...
Thank you for your interest in our AVID program. AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a four-year, elective class offered to students who would like to prepare for entrance into a four-year university. The curriculum features writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, reading, note-taking, study skills and college and career activities. College students are in the classroom as tutors and field trips are taken to visit different universities.
Criteria taken into consideration for all applicants include:
- Grades (minimum 2.0 GPA)
- Citizenship & Attendance
- Teacher/counselor recommendations.
The application process consists of the following required steps:
1. Please complete the application below in order to be considered for our AVID program:
WHS AVID Application
2. Attend Future Frosh Night.
3. Attend interview
that will take place at your middle school.
Select the link to view the questions you should use to prepare for your interview:
Interview date and time by middle school:
Dexter MS - TBD
Edwards MS - TBD
East Whittier and Whittier Christian MS - TBD
4. Final acceptance will be determined in early May, upon completion of interviews. Congratulatory letters will be sent out immediately after.
5. Attend Parent meeting in the WHS library to:
- Celebrate your acceptance into the WHS AVID Program
- Get dates for AVID Summer boot camp days
- Receive your Summer school schedule